Walk Up St Giles
the images to view the interactive 360 degree panoramas)
is one of the major thoroughfares of Oxford. It is a wide boulevard
running north from the heart of the city.
Giles starts at the Martyrs' Memorial.
was built in 1841 to commemorate the deaths of the three Protestant leaders,
Archbishop Cranmer and Bishops Ridley and Latimer, by the Catholic Queen
Mary I in 1555. They were cross-examined at the Divinity school and later
tried for heresy in St. Mary's Church. Ridley and Latimer were burned
at the stake in the town ditch, now Broad Street, on 16 October 1555,
while Cranmer was forced to watch from St. Michael's Tower. Though Cranmer
began to renounce his faith, he was burned on 21 March 1556, having first
thrust into the fire his right hand, with which he had signed the recantations.
A cross in the road at Broad Street marks the site of the fire.
College runs south to the left of the memorial and to the right of the
memorial is the Randolph Hotel, a major hotel in Oxford - Bill Clinton
often stays here when he visits Oxford. The Randolph opened in 1864 and
is a neogothic 4 floor structure.
first building on the left up St Giles is the Taylor Institution. The
Taylor Institution is Oxford University 's centre for the study of medieval
and modern European languages and literatures other than English.
I listed neo-classical building was completed in 1844. It owes its name
and its existence to the successful eighteenth century architect Sir Robert
Taylor (1714-1788) who left the residue of his fortune to the University
for establishing "a foundation for teaching and improving the European
the Taylor Institution is 1 St Giles, the new Oxford Internet Institute
(OII) focusing on furthering understanding of the economic, political,
institutional, scientific, legal and other social factors shaping the
Internet and its implications for society.
the Taylor Institution is The Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology.
This is a museum of the University of Oxford. Founded in 1683, it is one
of the oldest public museums in the world
Tour of The Ashmolean Museum" is online. This contains over 110
interactive panoramas of the museum.
the right stretching most of the length of St Giles is the very large
St John's College .
of St John the Baptist was founded in 1555 by Sir Thomas White (1492-1567),
a former Lord Mayor of London. The college took over the premises of St.
Bernard's College, founded in 1437 by Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury,
for Cistercian monks studying at Oxford University. Their college was
abolished during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
gateway to St. John's College is a statue of St. Bernard, a relic of the
original college. Effigies of Bishop Chichele, founder of St. Bernard's,
and Sir Thomas White, founder of St. John's, flank the statue.
quad is ringed by rebuilt remnants of the 15th century college buildings,
along with dormer windows added in the 16th and 17th century.
was laid out around a spacious quadrangle (the present Front Quadrangle)
on a site outside the medieval walls of Oxford.
Quad was built by Archbishop Laud in 1631-1636. On the east and west of
the quad are statues of King Charles I and Queen Henrietta Maria, who
both resided in Oxford during the dark days of the English Civil War.
Tour of The St John's College" is online. This contains over
50 interactive panoramas of the college.
Eagle and Child pub on St Giles
and Child pub has a famous literary past, JRR Tolkien became involved
with an informal literary group of staff and students known as the 'Inklings',
including C S Lewis and Charles Williams, which met on Tuesday nights
in the pub. Their meetings would involve the readings of old Norse sagas.
There is a plaque inside remembering the Inklings.
they know it as "The Bird and Baby"!
would often take supper of a Thursday with Lewis at the latter's rooms
in the New Building of Magdalen College. These meetings continued for
many years, although the Inklings changed allegiances in 1962 and moved
across St Giles to The Lamb and Flag.
north is St Giles House just up from the Lamb and Flag pub, both owned
by St John's College. They provide some student accommodation for the
House also provides music facilities for the college, a soundproofed music
room is located below St. Giles house. It contains several amplifiers
for electric and bass guitars, a grand piano and a drum kit (sticks not
the north end of St Giles the road splits into two, one the Woodstock
Rd and the other the Banbury Road. These are the major roads leading north
out of the city.
At the junction
is the war memorial cross, dedicated to the Oxford soldiers who lost their
lives in the two world wars.
north of the war memorial is the anglican church of St Giles.
It is a
medieval church, which was originally situated outside the borders of
Oxford, dating back to A.D. 1086.
Woodstock Rd leads north to the out of Oxford, through the large suburban
homes built for the Oxford Dons when they were finally allowed to marry
and needed homes for their wives and growing families.
At the start
of the Woodstock Rd, a small lane leads west, this is called Little Calarendon
Street. Here are many trendy shops and restaurants. Little Clarendon Street
leads to the area of Oxford called Jericho.
Jericho was site of 'The Jericho House'. This inn, was used by people
to take refuge after the city gates were shut in the 17th Century. It
was was subsequently rebuilt in its three storey form in 1818 andis now
called 'The Jericho'.
Jericho's first round of housing development took place in the 19th Century
as a means of accommodating workers in expanding local businesses. Their
numbers increased after the construction of the Oxford Canal (1790), the
building of the Jericho Iron and Brass Foundry, now Lucy's (1825), and
the arrival of Oxford University Press (1826).
Their houses were small and basic, lacking even basic drainage. As a result
most of Jericho was little more than a squalid slum and vulnerable to
outbreaks of cholera.
small terraced houses are very expensive homes with easy access to the
city centre, London via the near by railway station and the many cafes
on Walton St.
Rd heads north out of the city too, leading through the residential area
Keble Rd, bordering Keble College and taking walkers to the University
Park and Science Area.
Tour of The University Park" is online this contains over 30
interactive panoramas of the park.