How are the second-shell atoms "built up" one after the other from
lithium to neon?
2. Why are the second-shell atoms larger than hydrogen and helium?
3. Why do the second-shell atoms decrease in size from lithium to
4. Which of the second-shell elements are metals, and which are
nonmetals? Do the metals have a nearly empty second shell, or a
nearly full second shell?
5. How many electrons can be accommodated in the second shell? What
element has this shell completely filled? Which first-shell element
does it resemble in chemical behavior? What chemical behavior is
characteristic of these two elements?
6. Which of the pure elements in the second-shell series are solids
at room temperature, which are liquids, and which are gases?