18. How does bonding in a metal differ from that between atoms in
the water molecule?
19. Why do carbon atoms neither attain a He-shell configuration
by losing their four outer electrons, nor achieve a Ne configuration
by gaining four more electrons? How are electrons in carbon usually
involved in chemical bonding?
20. Why is lithium a softer metal than beryllium?
21. Why should electronegativity increase from Li to F? Why is Ne
assigned no electronegativity?
22. How do electronegativities affect the nature of chemical bonds?
What kind of bond would you expect between carbon and nitrogen?
Between lithium and oxygen?