18. In what sense can the mass loss observed upon forming a nucleus
from subnuclear particles be considered a binding energy for the
has the missing mass gone?
19. How does the mass loss per nucleon change as atomic number changes?
Which element has the greatest mass loss per nucleon? Does this
make it especially stable, or unstable?
20. For elements with lower atomic number than that of the element
in Question 19, is fission, or fusion, the energy-emitting process?
Account for this in terms of binding energy and mass loss. Which
is the energy-releasing process at higher atomic numbers?
21. What important quantities must be accounted for in balancing
the equation for a nuclear reaction? How are these quantities represented
in the symbols for atomic nuclei?
22. What is meant by a "stability zone" in a p-n plot?
23. How do nuclei with too many protons normally decay? What happens
to the nuclear charge and mass number in the process? What does
this decay process look like when represented on a p-n plot?