17. Why, in terms of electron probability clouds, are two electrons
orbital forced close to one another, whereas an electron in a
orbital are farther apart? Why does this lead to the prediction
that all three p orbitals will be occupied with one electron
each before any one of them receives a second electron?
18. What orbitals are being filled across the representative elements
in the periodic table? What orbitals are associated with the transition
metals? With the inner transition metals?
19. What are two alternative names for the first series of inner
transition metals? What is another name for the second series of
inner transition metals?
20. Why, based on electronic configurations, will elements in the
same vertical column of the periodic table tend to have similar
21. What is common to the electronic structures of all of the noble
gases? How does this contribute to their chemical behavior?
22. What is the big-bang theory of the origin of the universe, and
how does it differ from the steady-state theory? Which is more likely
to be correct, according to what we know now?