8. Why are cyclopropane and cyclobutane termed strained molecules?
Sketch the molecular-orbital picture of cyclopropane and account
for the strain.
9. Why is the chair conformation of cyclohexane more stable than
the boat form?
10. What is an alkene? An alkyne?
11. How are alkene molecules constrained, in a way that alkanes
12. What is the systematic name for isobutylene? What do the numbers
in 1-butene and 2-butene signify? Why is there no 3-butene?
13. What is the distinction between- structural and geometric isomers?
Are 1-butene and 2-butene structural, or geometric, isomers?
14. Draw the structures of cis- and trans-2-butene. Are they structural,
or geometric, isomers?
15. How do the structures of the isomers of C,H10 affect their